Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Adventures in Writing

(This post is a bit of a response to this blog: Writing as an art form.)

Many times throughout my life I’ve had people tell me I should ‘write a book’. As lovely an idea as that is, I’m not quite sure people realize how difficult it is to actually write a book. The request is always tossed out with such ease that I get the impression most are totally clueless as to what it means to pen-and-publish something.

Recently this demand has taken a major increase. This past year I had the honor of delivering a few eulogy’s for some family members of mine. Since this was the first large setting in which my written work was shared with others, I believe I surprised quite a few people with what I had to offer. I was given lots of praise and complements; not to mention quite a few requests and inquiries as to when I was writing more. Then there’s also the fact that this was all coinciding with my graduation from college. Now that I had a ‘huge chunk of time’ to devote to writing it was as if the tides of people surrounding me decided to come together and point me in a new direction.

I may have spent the last 4-6 years polishing my writing abilities and working to find a way to express my voice through the written word – but that does not in any way make me a trained writer.

Like. At all. As I am sure is blatantly obvious in this blog.

That being said…

Writing is something I treasure; deeply and passionately. And because of this I am also extremely critical of my own abilities. Whenever I publish anything I feel like a complete fraud. Faking my way through each passing sentence.

All I can admit to having is good taste. I know what good writing looks like. I know what it feels like. But I have very little confidence in my own abilities to deliver anything worth reading.

So when someone suggests to me to ‘write a book’ I literally scoff and dismiss them.

Like Karen mentions in her blog, anything worth writing takes time. Lot’s of time. And in most cases it also requires you to yield every lasting ounce of sanity you have.

At least that’s how it works in my case.

If I ever decide to get my act together and write the novels I have stored inside my head, it definitely won’t be spurred on by the encouragement of others. The motivation will have to be completely internally driven. Because writing is most definitely an art form. It takes passion, skill, time, DEVOTION.

Maybe one day I’ll be able to supply that. But to have others demand me to write?? Like it’s the most simple and uninspired form of expression there is?? It not only breaks my heart, it makes me mad.

It belittles one of the things I love most in the world and makes the little talent I do have look cheap. Like I didn’t practice, refine, and work for my ability to string a few decent sentences together. As if I don't pine over each element and worry, distress, and fight for something semi acceptable…

That is so unfair and upsetting.

Which is why I’m also asking the Average Joe’s of the world to please do us all a favor and appreciate your writers; especially the good ones. Because their hard work and talent deserves to be really and truly appreciated. Chances are that book you treasure so deeply took a hell of a lot work and passion to put together. So please, don’t assume otherwise.

And for anyone being pressured to write more - you know what you need to do. Take the time and space you need to make that decision. If it feels good, go for it; and if not, that's OK as well. Because at the end of the day, whatever you create will be for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment